It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 pm

Character control

Share your experience on Aarklash: Legacy and discuss with other players!
  • Author

Malky

Character control

PostSun Sep 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Helo everyone.

I'he just bought the game nad play it around 12 h so far...
I love this game !! It is a big "thumb up" for people responsible for it. It's seems so fresh in these days and in th same time trings back memories from times of good RPGs...Game art is brilliant !!
But... yes there is always a "but"..
Threre are few things that annoys as hell and as for now i know i wont play "hard" an up lvl not becouse of hardenes lvl but coz of my "character control"...
Let me try to explain that i have got in mind. In this kind of a game - exteremely tactic focused i would expect strict control of my characters - sometimes is 1 or 2 seconds to react to some spell and what i see in this time?? i can not click on some place becouse other character is to big and i can not click in proper position and of course i cant rotate camera...! this in one..
Second thins if i hit a knight or other enemy and its hard as hell - lots of uffs, taunts and other nice skills that boils my blood - my characters hit...yea... who they are hittind at the moment??.. noooo no the one character i have just pointed - they are hitting who ever they want to... if i make target - then use skill (a specially to distans fighters) next thing i know they hot enemy i simply dont wanna hit at the moment.. is is the most frustrating thins in this game!! At this point of complex of fight it is unbelievable that characted do as they please and not as i want them to...
Same this is when i want to make ambush or somethind like that - i need to some party members STAND right where i've putted them and be ready to act as i want to - i dont need them to think... in my opinion im little better in this then they are.. they run like mad if they see enemy... dammit i dont want them to do that... just to stand still and wait for they turn to make what i think is the best - there should be some kind of option to swith AI off or make it real RPG style where i can manually set actions that they should make and whitch not (rlt somethind like in old Icewind Dale would suffice)...

Thank again for this awesome game - i hope i won't flustrate anymore and will finish it - but with current issues im pretty sure it will not get back to it to deal with harder version... i rly would like to deal with harder enemies. more chalenging enemies .. not chalenging game control and fight with my own characters instead of enemies...
Cheers
Martin :"))

tesb

Re: Character control

PostMon Sep 16, 2013 6:06 am

sometimes it helps to zoom in, if another character is in the way of the position you want to click.

characters always attack what you oder them to. However if you use a skill on another enemy this new enemy will now be the new target for the auto attacks as well, e.g. if Nella is attacking an archer and you cast lightning on a knight she will attack the knight after casting the spell. There are enemy abilities that force you characters to attack them, i.e. taunt. especially undead paladins have a long range taunt.

taunt is a control ability though that can be removed by nellas heal if you spec right.

i agree with the automatic engagement of characters though, there need to be a 'hold position' command.

Malky

PostMon Sep 16, 2013 7:39 am

Zoom rly does not helt is u want to place in line Bo and Denzil for Wendaroo healing - as u probably know there is a part in story when you have to have Bo as tanker - lining up characters nect to him is a nightmare sometimes (we are still talking game where 2 second delay at boss wipe your party..no time to wonder around)..

From my observation characters not always attack the one character that i've picked. Nella hits enemy "1" for example then i move her and make mass knock down (sorry dont remember the skill name) and next thing i know she hits a random character (MAYBE one of those knocked down - can not tell ://)
Same thing when Wenderoo hit enemy "1" - next i use her healing..and she wont get back to hit enemy "1"... at least not always...
On the grount it loks like this - 3-4 nemies stay around my tanker - i point 1 of them as target - few clicks at skills and i see half of enemies gathered have their hp lowered...and when i check everyone hit other target...
I know it is manageable but still irritating...

Maybe threre should be an option to completely turn off computer AI. If i see my char is standind i will know it doesnt have targer but if i see it attacking i assume it hits the right target..

cheers :")

tesb

PostMon Sep 16, 2013 8:09 am

hm i am not sure how the ai works if you use AoE abilities or abilities on yourself or allies, but you can always just queue commands for example AoE knockdown -> shift + attack will make her use knockdown and then attack the specified target.

i never had much problems with using wenderoos healing, did you spec the boomerang? i usually move her in position and not the guys i want to heal.

Izno

Site Admin

PostMon Sep 16, 2013 8:30 am

I don't exactly know how the AI works, and I haven't played the game for a while, but it true that will often need to put attack orders by yourself quite frequently. More importantly, make sure there is no existing orders before, or that you don't overwrite them as it often happen at first (I know it happened a lot to me :lol: ).

Sometime you will need to move them to cancel the on going attack animation before they really change target. It defintely takes some practice.

Hope that helps, and we are glad you enjoy the game ;)

Emberstrike

PostMon Sep 16, 2013 1:25 pm

There is a hold command (called "wait"). It may default to "w" but I remapped keybindings so just check in your keybind settings. If you don't use this, yes characters can and will run back in to a bad zone to attack something after you moved them out or attack into something with reflect when you don't want them to -- but the keybind/ability is available.

As to any other issues with characters doing something other than you told them -- it doesn't happen in my experience. Unless they are charmed / feared / knocked down and should have my orders ignored/delayed due to those effects, they pretty much do precisely what I tell them. There are absolutely times when they are doing something different than I expected, but in all those cases, it just takes looking at the order of queued operations (awesome UI feature by the way) to see something like I had a move to operation placed in front of a spell or attack operation for instance.

Just clear out the undesired queue operation or all of them and resubmit commands in order you want.

I will say there was one "bug" where things had gone badly and I had Nella trying to res Denzil -- Nella also got killed during her rez attempt. At that point, I tried to have Wendaroo res Denzil - she simply would not take the command. I zoomed/reclicked res -- reattempted four or five times -- she just wouldn't. Finally ran Wendaroo over to res Nella first. As soon as Nella came up, Wendaroo could res Denzil -- but not before.

I know two people can't attempt to res the same person the same time (though that would be nice) -- but there is likely a code issue when someone dies trying to res another person, there is nothing indicating that they have stopped trying to res said person. It's as if the action continues forever and is not recognized as being stopped -- therefore preventing anyone else from trying to res them either. I'll post this in the bug section if there is one as well.

Malky

PostTue Sep 17, 2013 10:44 am

Hi.
Thanks for interest in this case. I did not know that wait command will persist - will use it :") Thank You all for sugestion - hope will help me not to get mad trying to finish game :")))
cheers ^^

Return to General Forum