It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:24 pm


So horribly disappointed, female overload

Share your experience on Aarklash: Legacy and discuss with other players!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Trutzi

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:47 pm

So horribly disappointed, female overload

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 9:53 pm

I was expecting I would be playing an RPG with a character of my own creation but no, 3 out of 4 characters are female, thus completely breaking the immersion, and one is a rat.

Unbelievable, almost all gamers are male and you make a game in which almost all characters are female, this is the dumbest developer decision I ever saw. :x

Did you not get the memo that only 18% of players played as female in Mass Effectt series, the most mainstream marketed game ever? Does that not tell you something??

What a stupid way to ruin a game.
Offline

QDemon19

  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Re: So horribly disappointed, female overload

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Trutzi wrote:I was expecting I would be playing an RPG with a character of my own creation but no, 3 out of 4 characters are female, thus completely breaking the immersion, and one is a rat.

Unbelievable, almost all gamers are male and you make a game in which almost all characters are female, this is the dumbest developer decision I ever saw. :x

Did you not get the memo that only 18% of players played as female in Mass Effectt series, the most mainstream marketed game ever? Does that not tell you something??

What a stupid way to ruin a game.


Honestly you should have researched more about the game before getting it if you consider character creation a priority, some games let you do it and others don't.

As for female characters, how much of the game did you play? There are a total of 8 characters and only 3 are females. Maybe play the game some and you'll see all of the wheel swords for yourself and you may reconsider whether the devs appear to have made a dumb decision?
Offline

Izno

Site Admin

  • Posts: 116
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:58 pm

Re: So horribly disappointed, female overload

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Trutzi wrote:3 out of 4 characters are female, thus completely breaking the immersion


I fail see to see a logic, other than : because you are a man you don't want to be play as a female ? Please elaborate your point. For the moment, it is hard for us to understand how that fact can ruin the experience, but we are interested to know.

Trutzi wrote:Unbelievable, almost all gamers are male and you make a game in which almost all characters are female, this is the dumbest developer decision I ever saw. :x


I don't see why males wouldn't want to play as females, especially in a party based game. Even in third person games I usually go for female characters for a smaller model and a lighter "feel", and plenty of other guys do the same, as there are plenty of good reasons to do so.

I fail to see why playing females is a problem, unless you consider them as weaker and can't picture them as potential heroes. That is called being msyoginist, and it is not something we promote.

Also, don't you think that the fact that there are less female gamers (for core and hardcore market, girls being 70% of social games players) than males can be linked with the fact that there are too few female heroes or their representation is not satisfying to that audience ? (too sexualised for exemple).

Clearly it's not everything, but it sure doesn't help. And some girls do enjoy hardcore games, especially RPG actually (from personnal experience), and ignoring that fact is not going to help to solve the issue. Males are a safer target, and that is why most games are targeted toward them, but that doesn't mean that a female audience doesn't exist, or should be ignored.

As for your link, if you read the article, the author gave good reasons that could explain why that happended, mainly that the game was marketed with the male Sheppard and that he was a male in the previous episodes. All that considered, 18% is not that shaby at all.

Finally, as it was pointed out, only 3 of our 8 heroes are girls, and the Confrontation universe A:L is based on includes plenty of female characters. It would have been unlogic for us to ignore that.
Offline

Trutzi

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: So horribly disappointed, female overload

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 5:41 pm

Izno wrote:
I don't see why males wouldn't want to play as females


The character I am playing is ME. Being a man, i like to imagine myself as a man, not a woman. I don't play with a partner, I play with myself.

That's why you see everywhere that males like to play male characters and females like to play female characters but the compounded problem here is that females constitute a minority of the gaming population.
Offline

Sarego

  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: So horribly disappointed, female overload

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Perhaps we should have Lara Croft have a sex change... so 88% of the gamer population can play a male character in Tomb Raider... /facepalm
Offline

Atepa

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:16 pm

Re: So horribly disappointed, female overload

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 1:19 pm

Trutzi wrote:
Izno wrote:
I don't see why males wouldn't want to play as females


The character I am playing is ME. Being a man, i like to imagine myself as a man, not a woman. I don't play with a partner, I play with myself.

That's why you see everywhere that males like to play male characters and females like to play female characters but the compounded problem here is that females constitute a minority of the gaming population.


Actually as this is a party based game, you are playing as four people... just saying. If you have problem 'accepting' the female characters, then make your party all male once you can. Or you know let your immersion focus you being on the male in the party.
Offline

madooeiei

  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:16 am

Re: So horribly disappointed, female overload

PostThu Apr 07, 2016 9:34 am

Thanks for the info
royal 1688

Return to General Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron